At our last general meeting on the 7th November we finalised the Bus Petition to re-route the buses from in front of the Hyperdome on Anketell Street. I am pleased to say we have received a total of 743 submissions, many more than the comments received on the last Tuggeranong Master Plan. The petition has now been passed on to our Local MLA Mark Parton, who had volunteered to present it to the ACT Legislative Assembly for due consideration. We all hope we will get a positive result as we feel removing buses from this part of Anketell Street would help revitalize the whole of the Tuggeranong Town centre area.
Last year the Tuggeranong Community Council offered perpetual Community Service Awards to students from all Tuggeranong high schools and colleges to recognise students who have volunteered to support the community and community groups. We felt it is important for the community to connect with young people and schools, and, for schools to connect with the community in general. We are now into our second year for this award and are continuing to connect with young people.
I have already presented to Trinity Christian School and over the next two weeks will be presenting to others.
Other news for Tuggeranong includes the announcement that the green bins will be now extended to all of Tuggeranong starting from January. If you are interested in receiving one you can log on to www.actgreenwaste.jjrichards.com.au. We also heard that Stage 2 Kambah Village is being planned and residents can have their say by logging onto www.yoursay.act.gov.au.
Other meetings I have been involved with include:
- CCC meeting at Turner
- Meeting of the Climate Change Advisory group
- Trinity Christian School Presentation
- Youth Engagement meeting
- Landcare awards with reps from the Tuggeranong Lake Carers, the TCC and the Tuggeranong Sea Scouts, where Tuggeranong Lake Carers was a nominee
- Attended the Legislative Assembly when our bus petition was being tabled
- Attended a planning meeting about the Laneway across from the Hyperdome
- Taryn Langdon, Markus Dirnberger and I attended a bus meeting with representatives from Transport Canberra
- CURF forum on ‘Working towards a carbon-neutral society Canberra and the Region”
The next meeting of the TCC will be held on the 6th February at the Tuggeranong Town Centre Club where we will hear the latest news what the ACT government is proposing about Climate Change proposals and learn about ‘Farming in the ACT”