Welcome everyone on this, our first meeting for 2016. It is with regret that I report that Darryl Johnston has decided to resign from the Council. In his email to me he said “I have served on the Council for many years as a general member, as President and as a member of the Executive Team. I have worked with many people, made many friends and worked on many projects for the benefit of our community. You, are supported by a good team of dedicated, effective, committed and community minded people. I now feel it is now time for me to move on to new fields. I wish you, your Executive and all the TCC members the best of success in 2016. “ Darryl has contributed significantly to the Council over a number of years, not only as a general member but as President from 2009 to 2012, where he worked hard to update and modernise the Council operations, including
- as president – he organised the current committee structure,
- was Secretary for a number of years
- ran and updated our website and Facebook page
- organised special pre election nights for candidates to talk to the Council and interested members of the Tuggeranong Community,
He will be sorely missed and I wish to record Council’s extreme gratitude to him for all his good work.
We will shortly be putting out a survey to find out community opinions on various topics of interest in the Tuggeranong area in our efforts to inform, promote and support the residents of Tuggeranong. Over the next few meetings we will have speakers talking to us about the National Broadband Network; hear an update from Capital Metro and listen to what college students and the Council of the Aging (COTA) have to say. We should hear in April from the Murray Darling Basin Project people about what activities have been approved in the Tuggeranong Lake Catchment area to improve water quality and amenity in the area, so we no longer have smells in summer and we could paddle, swim and Triathlons might actually be held in Lake Tuggeranong.
I once again ask if any of you are interested in helping us out or joining any of our committees, particularly:
- if you are interested in being involved in out Website please let me know– we are currently putting money aside to update it but would like someone with knowledge to oversight this
- the Activity Sub Committee, as Adrian, the former convenor, has moved to Vienna as part of his job.
- The executive – we now have a vacancy on our executive
If any of you are interested please let me know
The next meeting of the Tuggeranong Council will be held at 7.30pm on Tuesday 1st March, where we have an update on the new CIT in Tuggeranong, find out about the Climate Adaptation Change Strategy and hopefully have an update about what is happening with public housing in East Greenway.
Tuggeranong Community Council