Lake Cleanup we are currently looking at having the next Lake Tuggeranong Cleanup on Saturday 23 September. So please come and support us. Remember, the TCC puts on a free BBQ after the event
– by the way if anyone would like to help with the BBQ please see me in the break.
In response for my letter to Minister Fitzharris re Light rail stage 2 route to Woden, I received a response saying that “doing nothing, particularly through the Parliamentary Zone to Woden will make it challenging for people to get to work, go about their day to day activities and for visitors to access the national capital attractions and experiences…..
We also sent a letter into the government about our concerns that the proposal that 8% of club poker machines revenues would be taken from clubs and given to an independent group to distribute across Canberra. We were concerned that local community and sporting groups would lose a lot of their support. We received a response that the 8% would be left to the clubs but poker machine money over and above this might be taken. As clubs often spend more than 8% on the community we also have a problem with this
As said at our last meeting, representatives from each Community Councils, along with randomly selected members of the ACT Community, were invited to attend the Better Suburbs Citizens’ Forum. It was interesting to note that of the fourteen areas of City Services the forum members listed the following top seven in order of urgency: Lakes, Ponds and Wetlands/Stormwater and Water Quality; Street and park trees’ Household and then public space waste; Roads; Public Spaces and Library Services.
Other thing of interest coming up include:
- DA relating to Calwell master plan is open for discussion until the 24th September
- Received feedback on usage of Xpreso buses thanks to Caroline Le Couteur
- Library – CT Legislative Assembly Standing Committee on Environment and Transport and City Services invites submissions to its inquiry into ACT Libraries by 21 September
Other meetings/activities I have been involved with include:
- Evoenergy deep dive (8 &16/8)
- Climate interview (9/8)
- Meeting with principal of Lake Tuggeranong College (9/8)
- Attended Planning Refresh meeting put on by the ACT Government on:
- Planning for a compact and efficient city; 14/8)
- Planning for a diverse and sustainable Canberra and (15/8)
- Planning for a liveable and accessible Canberra (16/8)
- Attended last 2 days of the Better Suburbs Forum (18 &19/8)
- Attended Housing Choices Stakeholder final meeting (22/8)
- Environment and Planning meeting with ACT government (23/8)
- A couple of meeting of the SouthFest planning group
- Climate Change meeting (29/8)
- Vital Signs – responded to first draft on each of the areas of Belonging, Education/Employment, Health and Housing
The next meeting of the TCC will be held on the 2nd October where we will hear the results of the research done on Lake Tuggeranong and the latest on water projects being built around the lake. We will also hear from our local Member, Chris Steel (member for Murrumbidgee with includes Kambah) who is the new minister for City Services and Community Services.