Lake Tuggeranong was well represented on Clean Up Australia Day with members of the following groups volunteering on a windy and overcast day –
- Tuggeranong Lake Carers (TLC);
- Tuggeranong Community Council (TCC);
- Southern ACT Catchment Group, including WaterWatch Coordinator Martin Lind;
- Tuggeranong Sea Scouts;
- local politicians and other community volunteers.
In total, 20 bags of rubbish, half being rubbish and the rest recycling, plus two shopping trolleys were collected from around the lake by 52 enthusiastic volunteers.
This is the 10th year of Lake Tuggeranong Clean Up and it is positive to see that, while we have approximately the same number of volunteers, the number of bags collected each year is declining This can be attributed to –
- Regular clean-ups being undertaken around the lake.
- Publicity, including through the Tuggeranong Community Council, which raises awareness of the impact of dumped rubbish to the water catchment area.
- The container deposit scheme where bottles are recycled for cash.
- Recent rains where some of the rubbish might have been collected by a high, fast flowing water level and then washed downstream.
Following the clean-up, volunteers stayed on for a sausage sizzle organised by the Tuggeranong Community Council with President Jeff Bollard on the tongs.
Tuggeranong Lake Carers